Friday, July 17, 2009

This is why Air Canada sucks!

I recently flew with Air Canada and had a very unpleasent experience, which isn't something new for the most of us. Air Canada has built a stellar image of themselves in the Customer Service department. But it seems like they have taken things further. Now not only do they provide inadequate customer service, but they also force passengers to pay additional funds during check-in.

I'll just include the letter I wrote to there Customer Service team and next will be response that came back.


Hi,
I was scheduled to leave Toronto on the morning of June 26th, 2009, headed to Newark on the 6:30 flight with my wife and sister-in-law and had a terrible experience with Air Canada.
I arrived at the airport at approximate 5:25 and headed over to the Air Canada counter. I reached one of your automated machines and proceeded to check in but got an error. I waited a few moments for an Air Canada employee to assist me with the check-in. When she came over I explained to her the issue and she simply stated that I go ahead and check-in through an agent. So I walked to the line and was stopped by another Air Canada employee who asked me to weigh my baggage first. The time now was exactly 5:34 because the attendant mentioned that to me. We weighed our bags, which were all well within the Air Canada requirements, and proceeded down the line to an agent. We reached the agent at 5:37am according to her. She notified that we were too late to board our flight and that we would need to purchase a new ticket. She proceeded to check the prices for ticket for the next flight to Newark. She stated that the new ticket would cost us “Only an additional $235 for all the three passengers.” I told the attendant that I was not aware of any such rule and she said, “it’s been given”. That is all her answer was. “It’s been given.”
I contested and asked the attendant if there was a more reasonable solution to this. She said, no, we were late and were not going to be allowed to board the flight. She also stated that there was a huge line up for US customs and security check which we won’t be able to make it past in that much time.
At this moment, her inflexibility and attitude forced me to ask for a supervisor. This, actually, was a bigger mistake. This “manager” was rude, discourteous and impolite. He stated that, “…you are late; I can’t do anything about it. It’s Air Canada policy.” He then stated that, “I see you had a higher fare ticket so the additional charges won’t be too much. If you want, you can pay right now or go there and think about it and purchase a new ticket at the Air Canada ticket counter”, pointing into the air.
At this point the attendant checking us in was “late” for something and left us with another attendant. The new attendant was a little more courteous. She admitted that Air Canada clocks are always a bit ahead and she has to make it into work a few minutes early to punch in.

This is the 2nd time, I’m having to deal with unprofessional and discourteous Air Canada staff. This time, not only the service was poor, but we were also made to pay an additional $236.25 for being a few moments late.

So after pleading our case, then being transferred to another attendant, paying the additional charges, waiting for the attendant to process everything twice (she made a mistake the first time), then filling out our travel forums for the US, passing US customs, leaving our baggage at the belt and passing security, we made it inside to the Airplane gates at 6:05am.
The new flight was scheduled to board at 8:25 but did not being boarding till 8:36. The flight was suppose to depart at 9, but took off at 9:09. Our return flight (AC 754) had a departure time of 10:50pm PST from San Francisco but the flight did not even leave the gate till 11 and took off at 11:37. We were 10 minutes late reaching Toronto.

I just feel it is very unreasonable and unwarranted to charge a passenger additional money and deny them boarding if they are a few minutes late. We were 1 minute late to the automated machine and were at the attendant 7 minutes late. After dealing with rude customer service we still made it into the terminal 25 minutes before the flight was due to take off. I would really appreciate it if Air Canada would refund me the additional money I was forced to pay at the check-in counter. It was an unfair charge and refunding it would say a lot about Air Canada’s attempt to satisfy its customers.
If there are any further details you would like, I will be more than happy to provide them to you. Unfortunately the check-in agent did not provide me with a receipt for the additional charges otherwise I would have attached them to this email.

Regards,



Wait till you see the response...

5 comments:

  1. Pran, that is highway robbery! Please let us know what they do. I had a similar experience with HONDA two years ago and they told me to get lost basically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting.... next time i will try to go to airport earlier.... gee... i don't want to get robbed for being 10 min. late.... gee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well David, it's better not to fly Air Canada altogether.

    Because even if you are on time, you are still going to get the crappy service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For international flights, USA->Canada, aren't you supposed to technically check in 2hrs early? Where as Domestic is 1hr?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canada/US is considered Domestic.
    All departures from the US to Canada are from Domestic Terminals also.

    ReplyDelete