Friday, May 22, 2009

Edumacation

So it's Friday evening and being the young ripe age of 30 that I am, I should be getting ready to go party my brains out.......you'd think. Instead, I'm sitting at home preparing for a "mock" exam on Saturday morning at 9AM sharp.

Life takes you down weird paths. I graduated university 6 years ago and now I'm back in studying mode.

My advice to others....if you plan on studying further, try doing it right after university. It's tough RE-memorizing Liquidity Ratios and Profitability Ratios. That brings us to another topic of discussion.
Why make people memorize things? Am I ever going to be in a life or death situation where I'm going to be asked the Payout ratio? Sort of a gun to head, tell me what the Inventory Turnover ratio is or you are going to be a dead man, situation?

I can understand if you were required to know which ratio to use when, but not what the actual ratios are.

Obviously some old guys at the Accounting Institude haven't heard of Google search.

Well, I see my 15 minute break is now over and I have to go back to the lovely Ratios.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. It's useless to have to memorize the ratios - I agree with you. I work at a prominent accounting firm, and I can tell you that I've never had to recall any of my university memorization in over 12 years.

    What are you studying for?

    Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studying for the CMA entrance exam. This unemployment situation isn't too appealing.

    ReplyDelete